A number of neurosurgical conditions require time critical intervention. These lesions include:
- expanding intra-cranial haematomas
- obstructive hydrocephalus (brain tumours, blocked V-P shunts)
As soon as such lesions are suspected please phone the SORT hotline: 023 8077 5502
- A separate referral to neurosurgery is not required, SORT will contact the neurosurgical team on your behalf.
- Exopacs (Southampton) CT scans as soon as available.
- Image link (Oxford) CT scans as soon as available.
- Refer to management of severe traumatic brain injury and hypertonic saline guidelines.
- If a time critical lesion is identified we will ask you to transfer the child yourself to the accepting neurosurgical centre.
- Local protocols to facilitate this process with the minimum delay should be in place